Ethical Fundraising and Accountability
The Imagine Canada Standards Program is a Canada-wide set of shared standards for charities and nonprofits designed to strengthen practices in five fundamental areas: board governance; financial accountability and transparency; fundraising; staff management; and volunteer involvement. Help Lesotho’s policies and procedures in the five areas of compliance were rigorously evaluated by a transparent, peer-review process and were found to be compliant with the Standards Program.
In 2014, Help Lesotho earned Charity Intelligence’s highest rating – 4 stars! This rating is awarded to charities that excel in accountability to donors, financial transparency and cost-efficiency. Of the 600 charities rated by Charity Intelligence, only 72 have achieved a 4 star rating. Please click here to view Help Lesotho’s profile on Charity Intelligence.
Charity Intelligence is a registered Canadian charity that researches and analyzes Canadian charities in order to provide donors with a list of charities ranked based on their transparency and accountability, need for funding, and cost efficiency. Charity profiles are created by Ci analysts from publically-available information, including the charities’ audited financial statements, annual reports, websites, and CRA T3010 filings.
Keeping our Costs Low
In 2014-2015, Help Lesotho’s administrative costs were less than 7% of revenues. Here are some examples of how we keep our costs low:
- RE/MAX Hallmark Realty Group generously donates our office space in Ottawa, including phone lines, internet, reception services, meeting rooms, and security;
- Office supplies such as paper and envelopes are regularly donated to the Ottawa office;
- We use email and electronic filing to avoid printing whenever possible;
- Graphics, website development and media outreach are created and managed in-house, either by staff or volunteers;
- We do not buy donor lists, pay for donor software, or use paid advertising;
- We are committed to local-purchasing in Lesotho;
- Much of the furniture in the Lesotho office is either donated or made by hand; and
- All staff are committed to minimizing expenses at all times.
We take the issue of responsible stewardship seriously. We value your support for our mission and invite you to review our commitment to ethics and accountability through the following documents and links:
Annual Report 2013-2014
Annual Report 2012 – 2013
Annual Report 2011-2012
Audited Financial Statements 2013-2014
Audited Financial Statements 2012-2013
Audited Financial Statements 2011-2012