Ethical Fundraising and Accountability
We are very proud that Help Lesotho became one of the first 100 Canadian charities to achieve accreditation through the Imagine Canada Standards Program on May 27, 2014. Accreditation is a testimony to Help Lesotho’s transparency, accountability, and effective governance.
With over 86,000 charities in Canada, fewer than 1% have been recognized with this gold standard for operational excellence. Help Lesotho complies with annual reviews by Imagine Canada and has maintained accreditation since 2014.
The Imagine Canada Standards Program is a Canada-wide set of shared standards for charities and nonprofits designed to strengthen practices in five fundamental areas: board governance; financial accountability and transparency; fundraising; staff management; and volunteer involvement. Help Lesotho’s policies and procedures in the five areas of compliance were rigorously evaluated by a transparent, peer-review process and were found to be compliant with the Standards Program.
Keeping our Costs Low
In 2018-2019, Help Lesotho’s administrative costs were only 7% of revenues. Here are some examples of how we keep our costs low:
- RE/MAX Hallmark Realty Group generously donates our office space in Ottawa, including phone lines, internet, reception services, meeting rooms, and security;
- Office supplies such as paper and envelopes are regularly donated to the Ottawa office;
- We use email and electronic filing to avoid printing whenever possible;
- Graphics, website development and media outreach are created and managed in-house, either by staff or volunteers;
- We do not buy donor lists, pay for donor software, or use paid advertising;
- We are committed to local-purchasing in Lesotho;
- Much of the furniture in the Lesotho office is either donated or made by hand; and
- All staff are committed to minimizing expenses at all times.
We take the issue of responsible stewardship seriously. We value your support for our mission and invite you to review our commitment to ethics and accountability through the following documents and links: