When Peg Herbert describes how Help Lesotho came to be, she always points to Sister Alice and says ‘it’s all her fault’! After Peg’s initial trip to Lesotho in 2004 (read more here), the Sisters of Charity in Lesotho and Ottawa supported the growth of the work in Lesotho in many ways . It is safe to say that Help Lesotho would not be the organization it is today without the incredible support provided by the Sisters of Charity.
For example, the SOC:
- Housed Peg and a number of volunteers for the first couple of years and a number of our early volunteers;
- Shared their trusted network to help us build community relationships that have lasted all these year;
- Sr. Clementina, the CFO in Lesotho helped us set up banking and co-signed cheques for seven years to ensure financial accountability until we had our first Country Director in place;
- Sr. Alice came to Canada and did a grueling media and donor visitation trip for six weeks in 2006 all across Canada with Peg;
- Provided a substantial amount of funding towards our work;
- The previous Superior General of the SOC, Sr. Lorraine Desjardins, provided guidance and support to Peg, a non-Catholic, for the first dozen years of Help Lesotho’s existence.